Monday, August 3, 2009

Give & u ll receive

It was 31st July 2009, i was on my way to have dinner, thinking that whether i should go for the Rs. 45 meal (non-veg) or the Rs. 30 one (veg), because i didnt have enough money with myself as it was the last day of the month.Things were bad — really bad. With a heavy heart and fifty rupees in my pocket, I was on my way to the student's mess to have my dinner. As I came to a traffic light on my way, I noticed on my right a poor young man, his wife and a child, sitting on the grass near the road.I stood there for a moment and watched them.

The man held up a tiffin box in his hand. The woman stood next to him. She just stared at the cars stopped at the red light. The child, probably about two years old, sat on the grass holding a one-armed doll.And then, the man opened that tiffen box. I saw just 2 pieces of bread in it and nothing else except their poor faces.I noticed all this untill the traffic cleared. I wanted so desperately to give them a few bucks, but if I would have done that, there wouldn’t be enough left for my dinner and milk which one of my roommate had asked me to bring.As i moved ahead to cross the road, I took one last glance at the three of them and the feeling of both guilt (for not helping them) and sadness (because I didn’t have enough money to share with them) overcame me.

As I kept walking, I couldn’t get the picture of the three of them out of my mind. The sad, haunting eyes of the young man and his family stayed with me for about a mile. I couldn't take it any longer. I felt their pain and had to do something about it. I turned around and walked back to where I had last seen them.I moved close to them and handed the man thirty out of fifty rupees that I had. There were tears in his eyes as he thanked me. I smiled and walked towards the market to find something else that would be cheaper and fulfill my hunger.I went to the market, still thinking about the whole incident, yet feeling good about what I had done. As I stepped into the market, my foot slid on something on the pavement. There by my feet was a 100 rupee note. I just couldn’t believe it. I looked all around, picked it up with awe, went into the mess and had my dinner (Rs45 meal hehe) and purchased not only milk for my roommate, but also for myself.

I ll never forget this incident. This will always remind me that the universe was strange and mysterious. It confirmed my belief that you could never out to give the universe. I gave away thirty rupees and got hundred in return. On my way back from the market, i came back to that hungry family and gave fifty more rupees to them which were remaining with me.This incident is one of many happiest moment that have occurred in my life. It seems that the more we give, the more we get. It is, perhaps, one of those saying which goes like, “If you want to receive, you must first give.”

Most of the times, we think that we don’t have anything to give. Yet, if we look more closely, we’ll see that even the little we have could be shared with others. Let us not wait for a time when we think we’ll have lots and then we’ll give. By giving and sharing the little we have, we open up our heart to this universe and permit lots of blessings to come our way.

So just honestly try to give and you’ll be surprised at the results. May be, the returns do not come back instantly but it will come back later when you will not be expecting it.But be assured of this: Give and you will receive and you’ll receive lots more than you ever gave.And when you give, don’t do it with a heart of fear, but with a heart full of gratitude. You will be amazed at how it all works out.Open the gates of your heart in your life by giving a bit of what you have to those in need.

1 comment:

  1. amazing bro!!
    is it true??
    wow yr....tere toh maze ho gaye......

    ReplyDelete