Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Craving for sunshine

During my 3rd year, an article was published in "Education times" about B.Techs. It said that a B.Tech passout commanded an average annual salary of 5 lakhs. One of my uncle read this article. He gasped, quickly got up from the desk, took out his cellphone and dialled my Dad's number with trembling fingers. "u know wat, your son is going to get a minimum of 5 lakhs per year as a starting salary. The details of the sensational week article were duly passed on to my Dad. My dad dropped the Files on the floor of the office, did a little dance, and yelled "my son will be rich" so loudly that the window glasses of buildings within a radius of 4.23 kilometers of the office cracked. Then he called my mom and she also dropped the plate carrying the potatoes she was peeling , dropped the kitchen knife she was peeling the potatoes with and staggered to the nearest chair.

I hope that was exciting enough. Now picture the exact opposite of this. It was me who read the article. Later, when I talked to my parents about this and all jileilahi stuff, they said - " Isko kuch ho gaya hai....doctor k paas le k jana padega......iske dimag main lagi hai lagta hai".

My family is a "small dreams" family. And this has been inherited by me. My idea of a perfect day at the age of 50 is taking out my cute little wife and two cute-er and little-er kids to a comedy movie , laugh a lot with them , throw popcorn at people , sing loudly with the songs in the movie , then go to a little cosy restaurent for dinner , spill a lot of food , laugh a lot , drop things in each other's glasses when they aint looking , and then sneak home without paying the bill :P. I dont know if I ll get that "potato-dropping-window-glass-shattering" salary , and to be as honest as a lie detector machine, I dont even care.

Being an educated person assures me that I will attain a minimum standard of financial status, that I would not need to sell my wife's "mangalsootra" and my daughter's barbie collection to buy dinner. So money is no more a motive in my life. I am intent on loving what I do. All I want is a nice and simple life. Where nobody cries much, and even if they do, there are always people to offer a nice smelling handkerchief. And it is this simplicity and innocence which the world seems to be losing. Looks like a little dream of an innocent smile is becoming too much to ask for.

A 13 year old girl was raped few days back in Calcutta. Raped in front of her parents, by four men. They watch their little girl undergo something she is too young to understand. Is it foolish to dream and hope in such a world ? I say this to myself and my friends, but is life really beautiful ? All I want is a life bathed in a little bit of sunshine, but is the darkness is too much ?

No comments:

Post a Comment