Saturday, January 26, 2013

From Non Runner to Marathoner


It all started with a dream, A dream to run the marathon... A week before the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon 2011, I felt i should register and run the marathon, but then i came to know that the registrations are closed months in advance.. I then decided that I will keep looking for the registration dates for 2012.. In the mean time I had started working out in the gym and early morning running in the park. After running a couple 100 mts, I used to ran out of breath.. Slowly this moved to a few kms and by the end of the year 2011 I could run for 30 mins at a stretch... Believe me not many in the gyms could do that so I was very contended with this effort.

Finally the registrations were opened for Mawana marathon Feb 2012, without a second thought I went ahead and registered for the run...My prep started right from buying new pair of shoes to searching the Internet for the correct form and technique to run a marathon... Within 2 months I had to attempt my first HM and had to graduate from the 30 mins run of 5 kms to 21 kms.

On the day of my first marathon all started well I was running at a good pace and was very comfortable for my first 12 kms.. Post the 12 km I started feeling the cramps and it kept increasing as I ran further.. By the 16 km I was in a very bad state.. I did not know what to do in such situations, I was literally hitting my muscles..I was tired but the desire for my first medal kept me going.. Near the 18 km mark I was all down .. I could not run.. I stop down for few seconds.. My mind was telling me I can't give up.. I don't want to disappoint myself....I don't want to disappoint my friend ( Simranjeet Singh Pnaich ) waiting for me at the finish line...soon to see the 20 km mark, I realised nothing can go wrong now, the running pace increased and YES, I made it to the finish line .. It took me 2 hrs and 23 mins to complete my first half marathon. Though it wasn't easy. Many people say that I'm crazy but i smile and reply them - "Im only half insane, I still have to run the full marathon".

Since Feb 12 , I have done 4 HM.. I have improved my HM timings from 2.23 hrs to 1.57 hrs.. I have lost lot of weight (aprox 20 kgs), I am in a much better shape and I look much younger.. There are many who ask me the magic behind this transition, I guess it is very simple, believe in yourself, each one of us is a runner and every mile takes you closer to your dream of being a marathoner. Keep Running.

1 comment:

  1. pg slot เว็บตรงอันดับ 1 เมื่อพูดถึงความบันเทิงออนไลน์ ไม่สามารถที่จะไม่พูดถึงสล็อตออนไลน์ได้ PG SLOT เกมสล็อตได้กลายเป็นหนึ่งในเกมคาสิโนที่นิยมและเป็นที่นิยมมากที่สุดในยุคปัจจุบันนี้

    ReplyDelete